Collective redundancy consultation applies when 20 or more employees are being dismissed as redundant within a 90 day period.
The case reported here is interesting for a number of reasons:
1. As the site closure was an US air base in the UK, the name of the employer was the United States of America.
2. Sovereign immunity did not apply to UK civilians employed at the base in a non-military role.
3. Consultation must include consultation about the reasons for the closure.
4. Our old case friend, Mercy v Northgate, is referred to about the circumstances where an elected representative can bring a claim for a protective award for the protected group.
5. The USA did not abide by their legal obligations-tsk, tsk!